Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

game controller, Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, Xbox controller, game controllersDiscover greater precision, comfort, and control. Part of the new Game Precision Series - the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows delivers a consistent and universal gaming experience across both of Microsoft's gaming systems. Experience the ultimate gaming experience on Windows XP and Xbox 360.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great controller but poor software support
By Paul Robertshaw
I really love this controller. The spacing of the buttons and sticks feels just right for my hands. That being said, I would warn you that it is a battle in itself to get it to work with anything. Of all my games with native gamepad support, only Halo could get the controller to work right away. The recurring problem that I expierenced was that games would recognize the trigger axis and think that it is the right thumbstick. If you want the vibrate function to work, you will need either Xpadder or the XBCD driver; both are free, but frustrating to set up. I had a very difficult time getting XBCD to work on my Vista machine, but it works easily on XP. Microsoft should have thought ahead and released a profiler with their controller.

If I had known about all trouble it is to set up this controller, I still would get it because the gameplay experience is greatly expanded. Feeling the controller rumble while stomping a Sniffer in Silent Hill 4: The Room or feeling the character's heart beat faster and faster in Indigo Prophecy draws me into the game much more than with the keyboard and mouse.

This controller is great, and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a gamepad. You might have to go online for help, but it's worth it. If you are going to get a 360 controller, I recommend buying the regular one, not the one for Windows. It costs a few dollars less, and they are the exact same thing, the CD notwithstanding, and you can download the exact same drivers from Microsoft.com. Also, if you choose to use the XBCD drivers, you will not even use the drivers that come on the CD.

View detail at Amazon.

No comments: